Sunday 22 September 2013

Galaxy Nails

Nothing to Disclose

Hello lovelies!

I cannot lie, I'm pretty happy with today's nails. I did them while half-drunk last night, which would usually portend abject failure, or hilarious hijinx, but in this case: success!


Today's ABC Challenge prompt is G for galaxy. Galaxy nails have a long, honourable tradition in the nail art world. They're fun and low-pressure; usually you just sponge on various colours, have at it with a dotting tool and some white polish, and voilà! But noooo, Jolène had to go all realiiiiistic.

Here's my source image: 
Save this photo if you want an awesome galactic background for your computer. Oooh, aaaah!

Obviously, I didn't try to replicate the source photo exactly, but I did try to keep my design sort of in line with the spirit of the thing.


I used so many polishes for this. I've listed them all below, but I can't really get into the process of painting this. It kind of went: black, dark colours, medium colours, lighter colours, turquoises, white. That's as descriptive as I can get. I was really feeling this one through! I'm really pleased with how it turned out, though. :)


And, frankly, I'm also super-pleased that I did it all with nail polishes. Woot woot! Sometimes polish is actually more appropriate a painting medium than acrylic, and galaxies are one of those instances.


This photo can be super-zoomed to see all the detail, including the faintest starts that are a combination of Galinda and black + acetone (the only thing that doesn't come across is the faint holo from Greatest Treasures):


Polishes used:
OPI - Germanicure, Rally Pretty Pink, Funny Bunny
Nfu Oh - JS42
Nubar - Stardust
Modha HD - Ousada
American Apparel - Moon
Deborah Lippmann - Mermaid's Dream
Duri - Rejuvacote (base coat)

Have you ever tried galaxy nails before? (Fun, hey?!)

xo,

J.

10 comments:

  1. Galaxy nails are always cool!! Like your version very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your version! but sorry i disagree - galaxy nails have NEVER once been low pressure for me. they are one of those idiot proof manicures i cannot master. i think i overthink them and then i hate them because i suck at them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these look awesome! Not like the common galaxy nails I've seen so far, and I love yours better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Victoria! I definitely tried to aim for a slightly different look, I'm really happy it worked out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks sweets! And it's all good, I apparently can't do a French tip to save my life, so we all have our Things... :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Anastasia! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much, Josephine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy moly, these are some of the most awesome galaxy nails I've seen! And I can not believe you did them when you were half in the bag!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, thank you so much, sweetie! Honestly I think that sometimes being half in the bag is good for me, helps me to be less persnickety about stuff...

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS