Sunday 2 June 2013

SIMPLE(R) SUNDAY: Houndstooth

Oh boy. It's 00:11 on Monday and I'm starting my Sunday post. Bad Jolène!!


Houndstooth is a weird pattern when you look at it, but it breaks down easily. There are a million tutorials for this one, but here's how I did it:



Step 1: draw your squares. You want them evenly spaced, so that it's a bit like a chess board where every second line of black squares was erased. That's a complicated way of saying what I hopefully have shown above.

Step 2: the first set of arms. Technically, the ends of the arms are supposed to be at an angle like fancy ribbon, but I challenge you to achieve that on the nail.

Step 3: the second set of arms. This should end up looking a bit like you're watching a bunch of block people doing the Macarena from above. (Good luck unseeing that.)

Step 4: the ears! So now the block people are looking up at you and they're actually CAT-BLOCK PEOPLE. I enjoy how my captions have managed to devolve into complete uselessness in only four steps.

That made sense, right????? Right. I'd make a pictorial for IG but it's clear by now that I do not function well without a staggering amount of words to throw around. Once you summon up the patience to do all your nails, you end up with something like this:


I did mine on a base of a glitter bomb for visual interest, but you could do it on anything. There are limitless colour combinations. I think it'd be really cool (but perhaps difficult) to do a houndstooth in a textured polish on a base of a similar shade of regular polish. Über classy!




Polishes used:
Cult Nails - Tempest (one coat underneath Rave)
black acrylic paint
detail brush

I think I will next do another post with a custom Tryst Lacquer, so keep your peepers peeled for that!


xo,

J.

7 comments:

  1. i LOVE this tutorial - and now ALL i see are little big eared people dancing! but NOT to the macarena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have more willpower than I. I've succumbed to Macarena Disease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i succumbed to it in the 80s, and I swore I would never do it again. Much like crackle nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent base polish selection and tutorial. I always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing... more nail art please! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! I rarely get the chance to use glitter bombs, so I get happy when I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I'm working on some fun art right now, will be up on the blog within the hour!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS