Wednesday 26 June 2013

Chalkboard Nails

Nothing to Disclose

... Not as in the extremely talented nail blogger. As in nails that are meant to look chalkboard-ish.


Doing chalkboard nails was the idea of one of my lovelies over on Instagram. I regrettably haven't run very far with it, but it's a fun look for when you're feeling lazy!


This look began with two coats of Camelot (best black ever), followed by some sponging of Marble for the dust effect, then Filthy Rich for the chalk holder along the bottom. Text is done with Tempest, and the whole is coated in two thick coats of Matte About You.


On the subject of which -- you notice the dots that are distinctly whiter and sharper than the sponging? Those are weird calcifications in Matte About You. Has this happened to anybody else? I have no idea what they're doing but I strongly disapprove. In this case, they sort of blend in, but I've had them nearly ruin a manicure before. Time to consult Missy's informative Iron Polish post on matte topcoats and get myself a butter LONDON matte topper, I think!


Can anybody guess what the equation is? Any maths nerds out there? Show yourselves, ain't no reason to hide! I'll write it below in white text, highlight it and read if you're hopeless at maths like me:

The theory of general relativity as formulated by our good friend Einstein. :)

Polishes used:
Spa Ritual - Marble
Quo by Orly - Filthy Rich
Essie - Matte About You (top coat)

I have some seriously awesome posts coming up in the next few days -- a W-themed mani, and another crack at paisley print, so I hope you'll look forward to those!

xo,

J.

6 comments:

  1. This is so realistic!! Wonderful design!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOOOVE the little chalk pieces at the bottom! love love love! Love it all, but you always have the best little EXTRA details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, thank you! I admit I am all about the extra details. If nothing else, I'm happy to be known for those strange little extras. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you sweet pea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dunno how I missed this before, but I am in serious <3 w/ the concept. Back last autumn, my lover's girlfriend gifter me a matte black (by Zoya, I think?) that I adore, & I've always *intended* to do a chalkboard themed manicure, but haven't yet got around to buying a white polish pen, & am not conficent enough in my artistic ability w/ just a regular brush...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! Zoya's formula is wonderful. Don't do it with a polish pen, trust me! The white ones tend to be not opaque enough, so you have to go over things a million times. It truly is better to get a brush, or a toothpick! (that's how I used to do ALL my nail art, haha), and use that with some white polish instead. Post it to FB when you do it, I wanna see!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS